Saturday, November 11, 2006

The World's Smallest Whitetail...


Well, deer hunting season officially opened on October 1st in these parts. That means I have had 5 full weeks to fill my tags during our archery season. But the truth is that I have had a miserable hunting season so far. Oh, I've seen lots of deer. And yes, I've already seen a few decent bucks. In fact, I've let an arrow or two fly... but have nothing to show for it.

I would talk more about this, but my therapist has advised me against what he calls "obsessive-compulsive speech" when it comes to my hunting addiction. (You would like my therapist, he dresses in camo head to toe and answers all questions with a grunt call...three grunts for "yes", one grunt for "no", and two grunts for "I need to go potty".) We get along just great!

Where was I?...Oh yes, this is all leading up to my one great achievement of this bow season. I shot a turkey! Yep, as I was busy striking out with all of those bucks I kept noticing this group of turkeys coming to the same spot in our woods each morning. So, one morning I loaded my shotgun, waited in my blind, and squeezed off a "turkey load" at the first bird that stuck its head high into the air. This took all of 90 minutes, and we had some delicious turkey jerky in a few days. (Notice the peculiar look on my face in this picture - my facial muscles were a bit frozen and I couldn't quite eek out a decent smile... but I was happy on the inside!)

If only hunting Whitetail with bow and arrow were so simple...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home