Thursday, May 18, 2006

Some thoughts on mission...

This past winter Sandi and I spent a few days in Washington D.C. While there we had a few hours to visit some of the historical sights near the Lincoln Memorial. After about 30 minutes we stumbled onto this, The Korean War Memorial.

I must admit, looking into the haggard faces of these exhausted and frightened soldiers left quite an impression on me. As these men walked through the fields in their platoon, what thoughts were going through their minds? Were they focused on their mission? Were they just trying to survive another day deep into enemy territory? Were they day-dreaming of home, a warm bed, and a hot, homemade meal? I wonder...

For the thousands that never made it home, did they breathe their last believing that their sacrifice was worth it?

I guess what I wonder most about is how much they believed in their mission. This is probably because those of us in church leadership talk a lot about mission these days and how important it is to be missional people living in missional communities as part of the Missio Dei, blah, blah, blah...

This all sounds so good, so inspiring. In fact, we often feel like we have really accomplished some important aspect of our "mission" simply because we talk so much about it and hurl so many complaints against the "established, institutionalized, modern church". Then we go out with our Christain friends and sip on some cappuccino, or maybe drink a couple of beers and smoke a cigar (if we are part of the "emergent" crowd) and congratulate ourselves for being the few who really "get it".

Well, I'm not here to heap anymore criticism on anybody, except maybe myself. I, for one, would like to go on record admitting that I am not a very good soldier. In fact, most days I forget that there really is a mission that I have been sent on that really does matter. Most days I am far too consumed with accomplishing the next task on the list to even begin thinking seriously about how I can live out my day as one of Jesus' "sent ones". The gravitational pull of my life is away from God, away from the world, away from other people, away from any meaningful engagement - and toward my own individual happiness. And it's nothing short of incredible how justifiable and dignified all of this can look in the religious culture that I operate in.

I'm sort of feeling like maybe it's time for a change. And maybe this change has something to do with embodying the love of God to those who can in no way repay me for it. What would life be like if us Christians were "good news" to the marginalized, the poor, and the powerless? Now that's a question that my Christian heritage never asked...

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 5/22/2006, Blogger Chris Bruno said...

Tom,
Thanks for the thoughts. I would love to talk more about this some time.
crb

 
At 5/23/2006, Blogger Unknown said...

Chris, hopefully we will have more opportunity to talk through these types of issues and finally get all of these theological problems solved once and for all!

Seriously, looking forward to having you back into the great state of Michigan soon and spending some time with you.

 
At 5/23/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom,
Once again, you have challenged me to rethink my motives behind my ministry. I think maybe a thoughtful discussion about our family "mission" would be a good place to start.
Sandi

 
At 5/25/2006, Blogger Unknown said...

"Family Mission" - now there's a concept I haven't taken too seriously up until now. But as I see that all the relational doors that are opening around us revolve so strongly around our children and other family stuff, I must admit that this might be something worth thinking/praying through.

Where would you suggest starting with this idea?

 
At 5/26/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom,
I just saw this clip on the Today show the other day about this photographer that saved this whole forest from being chopped down. And it is now a reserved louis and clark national forest. It was an interesting story, and apparently the guy did all this fascinating behind the scenes work to get this done because they were going to chop it all down and he recieved absolutely no credit for what it is now. But the summary statement is what really got me... The narrator said, "It's amazing what you can accomplish when you don't care who gets the credit."

This is the sense that I'm getting from you... How do we live, work, operate, lead, and build the church in such a way that receives no credit for our hard work and faithfulness.

If I'm honest with myself, it seems like quite often my motives for ministry are for recognition (which is really dumb and I know better, but my fallen nature craves it--there lies the tension I think...) This is a major interior heart issue. But, I've noticed that when my heart is about being recognized; mission is meaningless and heartless and duty oriented.

Somehow, true mission is combined with the spiritual reality that our identity is wrapped up in Christ--not ourselves anymore.

I think A. Paul got this concept pretty well. I don't think it was just talk or word-psychosis either! Over and over he hashes out the thought that we are 'in' Christ, and if we are in Christ mission is the #1 thing on our mind. Not that it is a hierarchial prioritized list, but it is the overarching concept that flows throughout all of our life. Which was the point Sandi was making with the family mission.

I wonder if we talk too much about mission and not enough about our identity? What if it was flipflopped...?

What does it mean to do ministry or mission engagement without getting any credit?

Does 'personal/inner' credit count too?

Can we engage missionally without caring about the outcome or proping ourselves up or doing it just to tell a faith story?

These are some tough interior quesitons about being missional that I must admit I do not have down... I long for it though...........................

 

Post a Comment

<< Home