Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Smoky Vacation


Our family just got back last week from a great vacation in the Great Smoky Mountains. We went with 4 other families (2 from our church) and stayed 6 nights in a borrowed pop-up camper (thanks to the generosity of Craig and Vicky). The weather was great almost everyday, and the spot we camped in was beautiful. Some of the highlights included living with 4 other people in a pop-up for a week with no hot water or electricity - and I mean none at all, not even in the camp ground. The phrase "for better or worse" took on whole new meaning for Sandi and I on this trip! We also did a lot of hiking and the kids did a lot of biking. I joined 6 other guys for a grueling 13 mile hike up to one of the highest points in the Smokies. I wasn't sure how my body would handle the hike, but I did fine (it was just the walking around the next few days I struggled with). At any rate, it was a great trip and we look forward to more camping adventures together as a family.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 4/12/2006, Blogger Mike said...

Hey Tom!

Sounds like a great get-away. Although I'm not so sure about the lack of hot water :)

It sounds like we almost crossed paths - Dawn and I drove through part of the Smokies on our way to and from South Carolina (last Tuesday, and Friday/Saturday).

I hope things are going well. Stop by if you get down in the area

Mike

 
At 4/12/2006, Blogger Unknown said...

Mike and Jim, I hope both of you have as good of a time with your family as we did. And, for the record, we did rent a room one night to scrape off some of the camping crud in a hot shower. So, we are not as hard core as some were in our group - but we smelled better by the end of the week...

 
At 4/17/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi dad! Megan here. i was just wondering...what in the world does "grueling" mean?!

 
At 4/19/2006, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Honey - grueling means "very difficult". You know, like when we try to get you up in the morning. "Getting Megan up in the morning is a grueling experience."

Dad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home