Saturday, September 29, 2007

Opening Day on Monday!


For those of you who don't like hunting stories, let me apologize in advance for much of what you will be reading on this blog over the next three months. Because this is the time of year that I obsess over hunting - deer hunting mostly. And on Monday, October 1 the pursuit begins again.
Here is a picture my spycam shot in our back woods from late July...I wonder what this buck looks like now that he has peeled his velvet and put on a few pounds? He may not be one for the record books, but I am sure hoping to meet up with him at some point during this season (in fact, Monday would do nicely).
My plans for opening day are to hunt my woods in the morning, and then move over to another property I have been given permission to hunt in the evening (thanks Keith). I head out of town first thing the next morning for work, so that will be all for a few days. Here are some other things I've got cooking for this season:
1. Nettie Bay is next weekend. We will hunt duck, goose, grouse, and woodcock - this is always a great trip with a fun bunch of guys.
2. Looks like I will be getting some limited access to 80 acres near Clare and over 100 acres in Standish. My uncle Chuck has invited me to do some hunting with him this fall and I am hoping to join him 2 or 3 times during the season. I think I will hunt the firearm opener at my own place with my Dad and Grant (I hear my brother may even join us this year, that would be great!) and then catch up with Chuck for a few days near Clare.
3. I have been invited for a pheasant hunt in South Dakota in early December. Not sure about this one yet, many details yet to be worked out.
4. I will hunt turkey again this fall, probably local (I have lots of birds on my property this time of year, just saw a few jakes the other day...)
Another blessing came my way this weekend as a good friend gave me some very nice binoculars, good rain gear, a Whisker Biscuit, and 6 top-of-the-line carbon arrows. Most of my hunting gear has come from this same friend, and all of it has been either free or at prices so low you would think I did all my shopping at the dollar store (OK, so I do most of my Christmas shopping at the dollar store, that is not the same thing). This is the same friend that got me into hunting in the first place - thanks Jimmy! (Eventhough you are younger than me you are the big brother I never had when it comes to introducing me to the joy of the hunting...you are the man!)
All I have left to do now is reset my sight to the new arrows, test out my new mechanical broad heads (I am trying out "Rage" mechanicals this year, switching over from fixed "Thunder Heads"). I should have plenty of time to do all of that on Sunday if I plan my day carefully.
Hopefully my next picture I share will be of a nice deer and a few smiling faces.

2 Comments:

At 10/09/2007, Blogger Unknown said...

"MY HUNTING SEASON"
I've had some recent success in "hunting" that I thought I should share. Last weekend I was able to find a great deal on a pair of jeans and a black shirt at Kohls. It's not the new Vera Wang line, but it is still stylish. My friend Rachelle was gracious enough to let me use her 30% off coupon. Thanks Rachelle! I also helped her find 5 new outfits for her daughter, and I helped my friend Janet find a nice red jacket at JC Penny for a great price. It's always so satisfying to find a great deal for someone else. Maybe kind of like a man feels when he helps another guy track a deer!
This weekend I'm hoping to get started on some Christmas shopping. I'm trying to decide between Wii games or the DS lite for Grant. Target has a nice red DS that Grant would like, but then the black one is also a safe choice. I'm still unsure about Megan and Emily. I'll just have to make several trips to the mall and search diligently for the right thing. I think I'll know it when I see it. Hopefully all of my practice in shopping will make me ready to pounce on the right opportunity!
I would like to find a new wool coat for myself this winter. Younkers and Macy's usually have nice outerwear, but I'll have to work hard to find a good deal at those stores. Sometimes clothes shopping is tricky, you have to time it just right. If you get there too early, you won't find the sales. If you get there too late, you can miss out on the right color or size that you need. Another size 8 lady might be quicker with her credit card. I like to stay practiced so I am ready for the moment. I feel that practice is important. I also need to sharpen my "tracking" skills at the mall. I need to study clothing lines and fashion trends so that I am educated. I don't want to make the mistake of buying a cheap imitation! I understand sometimes that this sort of practice involves financial commitment, but I think it is worth it in the long run!
Here's to a season of happy hunting!
Sandi

 
At 10/09/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I ever get the urge to go hunting, I think I will be joining Sandi instead of you, Tom! :)

See, I told you that I check out your blog from time to time; I've just never commented before. But Sandi's post was so funny that I had to comment this time!

By the way, Sandi; would you say that you have better success hunting in certain kinds of shoes or outfits? How about weather conditions?!

Also FYI - we have both the Wii and 2 DS Lites in this household - so we're more than willing to help you out with any questions about those. Actually, Noah would be glad to give you PLENTY (i.e. more than you really wanted) of advice on either system or the best games for Grant, he's kind of the expert on those and says he's planning to get a job at Gamestop as soon as he's old enough!

Chris Taher :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home